Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reflections on a New Year

So today I've decided to recover this journal, or rather, update it to some degree. So here goes...

Right now it's 8.45am in the town of Stourbridge, England, where I'm currently visiting my boyfriend who's at work right now. The fact that I'm even awake and energetic at this time of the morning is a small miracle in itself, but I've done some thinking, and I always love it when a new year rolls around, because it's like a fresh start, and you can decide a new direction you want your life to take.

Right now I'm stuck in a sort of limbo: I've got a college degree, a boyfriend in England, and no job. I know the economy is tough right now, so that's why I haven't really looked too hard for a job. Plus, with me living in the US, and my boyfriend living in England, it makes having any sort of normal, 9-5 job somewhat difficult, because I can either work and not travel, or travel and not work. Those seem to be my only options at this point.

I really wish I was more of a go-getter, in that I really felt like I had a purpose in my life, and that my life had some sort of meaning. I mean, I see people I went to college with going after the jobs they want, and I wonder, why can't I be 'that guy' (or girl, in my case)? I have a degree in journalism but nothing to show for it; I stupidly never saved my high school newspaper articles like I should have, and I wrote so few articles for my college newspaper and I don't have them archived or put in a portfolio, so I'm sure with very few to no writing samples to draw from, I'm sure no one will want to hire me to write for them.

Oh well. It's nearly 11am now and I'm going to walk into town. I can hear the scrap ironman out the window which is comforting somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment