Monday, September 14, 2009

Thoughts from Vienna

Friday, May 16, 2008

Current mood: artistic
Category: Travel and Places

We arrived in Vienna Wednesday afternoon and had a look around and stuff. Luckily our hotel is really close to the main road for shopping and eating, which means that I shouldnät get lost (tho dont hold ur breath!) I went shopping later that day and again yesterday without getting lost (write that down on yer calendar!!)

I went shopping at H&M yesterday with Corban and a few other girls from my class, which was fun. I got a pair of white and black cotton shorts cos its been really hot here. Its especially hot in the sun, but in the shade itäs a lot cooler and breezy.

I found a store I really like it's called Pimkie and they have cute shirts and pants. I bought 2 pairs of black jean type pants and a yellow shirt that has a smilie face on it and says Dont Worry on the front and Be Happy on the back. Bought a pair of flip flops from H&M cos I have a blister the size of fucking Texas on the side of my big toe that only keeps growing.

We went to the Schonburg Palace today and I about blew away in the wind! There were gusts of it quite strong that would come up, something I found odd since its a huge palace, youd think it would block the wind.

Last night we all went as a group (well, minus a few ppl) to some wine gardens and I got quite drunk. So drunk that when my purse fell over off the table in my room, it took me 5 mins to figure out what had just happened! Also, I tried to listen to Two Months Off by Underworld on the U-bahn, but that did not work so well. I had to turn it off cos I thought it was making me sick.

I found a EMI record store right down the road from our hotel (The Hotel Wandl) and got some CDs, only to realise later that I way overpaid for them. Oh well. I got Wir Sind Helden's 2 CDs Die Reklamation and Von Heir An Blind, which are impossible to find in the States or Ebay. I also got a few other CDs that I knew I wouldnt be able to find at Manifest.

I have been getting up so early on this trip it is amazing. I guess my biological clock is off somewhere, because I keep waking up around 5am, or ealier, and having a hard time getting back to sleep. And even in this hotel, which has a centrally located window rather than a window onto the street, I woke up this morning at 4 something, and decided to read around 5 am (I was also starving). My roommate was sacked out so I didnät want to be loud. I ended up getting up around 6 or something, and went for a walk around town. I know there is a Starbucks close to our hotel, but I havent been able to find it yet. I also wanted something from McDonald's for breakfast cos I'm getting tired of the hotel food. Not that there's anything wrong with it, you understand, I just wanted something with egg and bacon and cheese in it so I got an Egg McMuffin cos I didnät know how to ask for a McGriddle or even if they had that.

The McDonalds over here are really nice and modern-looking. The one I was at this morning had 3 storeys and modern lights and stuff. Also, there was hardly anyone there at quarter to 8am, something that blew my mind, since in the US there would have been a huge line that time of the moning at Mickey D's.

Tomorrow is our last day here, we leave for Salzburg on Sunday moning. I have to admit, even tho I am having a great time (read: Prague) I am kind of ready to go home, and its not just cos Chris will be there. I am getting sick of the people I am with, there are 2 really rude girls, one of which I'm rooming with, and I kept thinking of wanting to hit one of them over the head with a blunt object last night on the bus. If I had been smoking, I would have made sure to blow plenty of smoke in her face. Sadly tho, I wasn't.

My roommate seems to be nicer to me now, even tho I still hate her for what she said to me when we got in the room. She was flicking thru the channels on the TV and stopped on a soccer match, and when I got excited, she goes, Oh we're not watching that. I was like omg what a bitch! So while she was unpacking all her shit, I turned it back on cos it was a Euro 2008 semi-final match between Bayern München and someone else, who beat BM 4-0. I was gutted. BM is the only Deutschland team I like or really pay any attention to.

Well I cant think of much more to write right now, but amazingly no one is waiting on the hotel computer. I feel like I have written a missive! lol

Hmm I know there was something else I wanted to say, but of course I can't remember what it was. Well Erika, Corban and Shane have nicknamed me "Wild Thing" because of my wild antics that night in Prague. Fun times, fun times indeed! I miss that Aussie guy, Mark Malone. Sounds like a proper mafia gangster haha. He's not bad on the eyes either, and a very good kisser.

Well I'm going to my room to eat and get a shower and stuff. I am so glad its only 1 pm over here. I feel like I have made such good use of my time while I have been here!

Oh and as Im writing this, horses and carriages are going past the window in front of me. Pretty cool, eh? And the landmark I use to locate the hotel is the black Porsche 911 Turbo S parked across the street. I have seen more Porsches and BMWs here than in either Prague or Budapest, probably because it is such a rich and posh area. I have seen a few automatic 911s too, something I am quite proud of.

I saw my first BMW 1 series this morning on my walk around Stephansplatz, the square and shopping district outside St Stephan's cathedral, which is a stone's throw from our hotel. Wished I had my camera. Ah well. I'll go now. It is nice and sunny out now, with a high of 71 today. I need to soak up all the sun I can cos it's supposed to rain for the remainder of our trip, both in Salzburg and Münich, something I am not looking forward to (the weather, not the city; I can't wait for Munich, as I have heard it has great night life.)

Also I saw today on the U-bahn that there is a Punk exhibit around here in Wien (Vienna) not too far from our hotel. It opened today and will be here until Sept. Its got lots of Vivienne Westwood and Seditionaries stuff I think--there is a pic of Catwoman on the flyer. I really want to try to go to that. Also there is a King Tut exhibit somewhere in the city that looks really neat as well. I hope I can make it to at least one of them. Probably not tho as I dont know of anyone who would want to go with me.

Currently listening:
Scouting for Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment