[19 Feb 2006 | Sunday]
| Current mood: Category: Life OK all I need your advice on this... After being fascinated by tongue piercings for several years (or since I was around 16), I've decided that I want to get it done. However, I have been told by several piercers that my tongue is too short. Well, frustrated didn't even begin to describe what I felt after hearing that....just my luck tho I guess... Anyway, I went to Sadu as my third and final place to visit, and the people there were super-friendly and supportive. The piercer looked at my tongue and told me she could clip/cut the webbing (frenulum) under the tongue, so it would be able to be pierced in the normal center, half-way back place. Well, I liked the sound of that, or rather, I was relieved that I could get it done; here was a woman willing to work with me, rather than warning me against it, like the guy at Rockn Roll Emporium...he said it would be more trouble than it would be worth if I got it done as it was, due to it constantly hitting my teeth and causing speech impediments, neither of which I want! Now, I will say two things here...one, I am a big wuss when it comes to pain...I hate it. Having had both my tonsils/adenoids and widsom teeth removed, I can attest that they were the 2 most painful surgeries I've ever had in my life, and the pain from my tonsils removal I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy! So, after having to undergo pain that was required, I can't really see the point in having pain inflicted on me that's *not* necessary. Which is why I've never gotten it done. I've had my ears pierced twice, and have had nothing but problems with them ever since...The second thing is that it took me *a lot* longer to recover from my tonsils (3 weeks) and wisdom teeth (2 weeks) than the standard recovery time...my friend had his widsom teeth out the day b4 me, and he was going places in his car 2 days later, while I didn't even get out of my pjs until at least a week after... Another thing I want to point out is that I got my webbing "cut" when I got my wisdom teeth out, and the guy apparently did it wrong, cos it didn't lengthen my tongue at all, just made it take longer for the pain to go away and heal...so I'm a bit hesitant to have it done again, in case it's $20 down the drain...but I feel comfortable with this piercer, Corrine, cos she took the time to come out, look @ my tongue and explain to me exactly what she would be doing, how long it would take, how she would do the procedure, etc...but I'm afraid that it'll hurt a lot or it'll be something I regret. I geuss that's really what I've been hesitant about the whole thing, regretting it, and the fact that my parents are dead-set against me doing it, altho they won't stop me...but I also worry that it'll really screw-up our finally-good relationship, and I really don't want that to happen. I have been going home every weekend (2 hrs from college/uni) as there's nothing to do up here, and all the piercing places are back home in Charlotte. Anyway, I went yesterday over to Central Ave to Sadu for my 5pm appt (after moving it from 3.30 cos I hadn't finished my homework) and sat and sat and debated it, and in the end, I didn't get it done (the web cut, that is). I guess you could say I chickened out, but I did some soul searching, and as much as I want to do it, rather for the "cool" factor of it, than the actual piercing itself, I don't think that's who I am. It's just not "me" if that makes sense. I saw lots of different types of jewellry while I was there, and I don't know, but I just feel that I'm not the type of girl that's cut out for odd piercings, such as tongue and labret (under the lower lip)....even tho I think they can look pretty (well, the labret can accent a pretty face) but another thing I got to thinking about was that it's sort of a rite of passage...I've never done anything "bad" so to speak, never done drugs, only drank but never got drunk, no weird piercings, etc....and I'm afraid that it'll be something I regret...of course, I can take it out (as I could any piercing really) but it'd scar and I'd have to live with that...plus I got to thinking, I can't come up with any GOOD reason to get my tongue pierced. I guess the main reasons for doing it was cos my best friend just got his done, and I was really really jealous and felt I *had* to get mine done as well, and the fact that I want to do it, and I've waited 5 years or so waffling around with it, and the longer I wait, the more angry I get at myself for putting it off, but one of the main reasons against it is that I'm afraid it'll ruin the relationship between me and my folks...on the one hand, I feel like thinking, oh well, they'll just have to get over it,' as I come home every weekend, it'd be kinda hard to hide the fact that my tongue will be swollen and might be hard to talk... I guess I'm asking your advice is that this is a life-altering decision for me. I have a lot of doubts about it, probably more than positives that I can think of; in fact, while discussing it over the phone with someone, I realised that I had nearly talked myself out of it...basically, I don't want to make the wrong choice, but I really want it done but I'm afaid that if I don't do it soon, that it'll be something that I'll regret for *not* doing it for the rest of my life... Your thoughts on this please... ** Edited cos I forgot to add that I was told that if I got my webbing cut, I'd have to wait for 4 weeks for it to heal completly before I could get my tongue done, and I'd have to treat it like a piercing and use mothwash after everything I ate or drank....so it would be a total of 8 weeks or so if I went thru with both that I'd have to use mouthwash after everything I ate or drank, something that has nearly turned me off it already...it almost sounds more trouble than it's worth! Anyway, thoughts plz.... |
No comments:
Post a Comment